Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Zai Jian Zaia: End of an Era

Hey,

An unfortunate event has spawned the writing of this entry, the first one in errr, a year(?). Yesterday the cast and crew of Zaia, Cirque Du Soleil's resident show at the Venetian Macau, were sent their packing orders with only two weeks notice.

Not only was the notice period extraodinarily harsh, but coupled with Macau's foreign labour policies, means that this group of incredibly talented and gifted individuals will have less than a month to reasssess, make decisions, book tickets, find a new country to live in, find new jobs and new dreams.

I guess this is a predicament facing all expats in Macau. Work is so intricately linked with the rest of your life. Your living environment, your friends, your bank account, your insurance, your ability to get an apartment, your partner, everything that it intensifies your work environment and makes everything so much more personal. I know people with long term partners in Macau who will struggle to find a solution short of getting married (and even that is no guarantee) to stay together. People who will lose thousands in apartment deposits, give up their possessions, cars, bikes, pets and dreams. Those who have invested heavily in Macau to try to make it the cultural hub in Asia that it begs to be, and it will be a genuine loss to this city.

Even though I didn't work for Zaia, the show has contributed directly to my life in Macau. Actually, if it weren't for Zaia, I can honestly say I wouldn't be here. It was my best mate, who worked there, that introduced me to Dragone and therefore made my life the way it is today. I, like many Dragonians (or ex Dragonians) found solace and friendship in our neighbours and it will be a loss to the (already) small community of performers and techs in Macau.

There has been a bit of coverage on the news and if you want to read more, there are links below. All the best my wonderful friends. I'll miss you so so much...

MACAU DAILY TIMES

WALL STREET JOURNAL





No comments: